Poison Prevention Tips
IMPORTANT: If you suspect a poisoning emergency, immediately contact Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. Post this number by your telephone. Calls to Poison Control are free.
By following these guidelines, you will be able to help prevent poisoning:
- Keep all chemicals and medicines locked up and out of sight.
- Use child-resistant packaging properly by closing the container securely after each use or choosing child-resistant blister cards, which do not need to be re-secured.
- Call 1-800-222-1222 immediately in case of poisoning. Keep on hand a bottle of ipecac syrup but use it only if the poison center instructs you to induce vomiting.
- When products are in use, never let young children out of your sight, even if you must take them along when answering the phone or doorbell.
- Keep items in original containers.
- Leave the original labels on all products, and read the label before using.
- Do not put decorative lamps and candles that contain lamp oil where children can reach them. Lamp oil can be very toxic if ingested by young children.
- Always leave the light on when giving or taking medicine. Check the dosage every time.
- Avoid taking medicine in front of children. Refer to medicine as "medicine," not "candy."
- Clean out the medicine cabinet periodically and safely dispose of unneeded and outdated medicines.