Red Cross promotes sober driving this ThanksgivingMonday, November 21, 2011
“Don’t Be a Turkey… Designate a Sober Driver!”
During the 2010 Thanksgiving holiday, 15 people in the State of Illinois lost their lives in motor vehicle traffic crashes—9 of those deaths involved alcohol. Over 700 were injured.
In order to make this holiday safer, the American Red Cross along with the Illinois Department of Transportation and Baumgarten Distributing are making it easy for revelers to designate a sober driver. Each year, the Red Cross and their partners team up to offer free, non-alcoholic beverages to designated drivers.
On the day before thanksgiving at participating locations, designated drivers can enjoy free nonalcoholic beverages in special “You Drink & Drive. You Lose” cups. Bars will hang banners and posters indicating their participation the event.
Participating locations include:
• BG Karaoke, 5605 S. Adams St., Bartonville, IL
• Firehouse Bar & Grill, 4925 N. Galena Rd., Peoria Heights, IL
• Goodfellas Pub & Pizza, 1414 N. 8th St., Pekin, IL
• 8th Street Station, 1440 N. 8th St., Pekin, IL
• Kelleher's Irish Pub & Eatery, 619 SW Water St., Peoria, IL
• Red Rock Bar & Grill, 332 Detroit Ave #4, Morton, IL
• Sully's Pub, 121 SW Adams St., Peoria, IL
• Two25, 225 NE Adams St., Peoria, IL
• River Valley Bowl, 1000 Western Ave. Henry, IL
“The holidays give people many reasons to celebrate,” said Marie Dietrich of the Red Cross Injury Prevention Department. “Don’t let this season be remembered for the wrong reasons. Celebrate responsibly and always designate a sober driver.”View all Articles