Insect Safety Tips
Whether you're going on a backpacking or camping trip or simply to the local park, always be alert for insects. Insects such as ticks and mosquitoes are known to carry diseases.
To protect yourself and others, follow these tips:
- Wear a light-colored long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and a hat.
- Secure your clothing to prevent insects from getting underneath. Pant legs and shirt cuffs can be secured with rubber bands or tape.
- Avoid underbrush and tall grass when hiking.
- Use an insect repellant and follow the directions for use. Be sure to read cautionary statements on the label. Follow special precautions when using on children.
- After being outdoors for a long period, inspect yourself for ticks or have someone else do it.
- Shower immediately after coming indoors.
- If you have pets that go outdoors, use a repellent made for that type of pet and apply according to the label. Be sure to check your pet for ticks often.