Between 2000-04, an estimated 20,900 home fires were caused by candles, claiming 200 lives and resulting in $459 million in property damage.
More than half of all candle-caused home fires start because the candle was too close to a combustible material. Candle fires often start when items like mattresses, bedding, curtains, cabinetry or furniture are ignited.
- Remember that lit candles are fire. Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn: curtains, bedding, mattresses, paper, books, flammable decorations, clothing, upholstered furniture, etc.
- Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed. Do not leave a room before blowing out all candles.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, won’t tip over easily, are made from a material that cannot burn, and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
- Place candles where they cannot be reached or knocked over by pets and children.
- During an emergency or power outage, use flashlights – not candles.
- Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle. Keep matches and lighters out of reach and out of sight of children.
- Keep all lit candles and other open flames away from any flammable liquids.
- Smoke alarms save lives. Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home and use the test button to check each alarm each month. Replace all batteries at least once a year. More about smoke alarms, click here!